Why does mankind care about the how and why this universe originated, including life on earth, when apparently, we are the only ones to intelligently witness reality? Should we focus on the "there", and not the how & why of "there"?

 If the universe with life on Earth was designed, and there’s so much evidence for it that even atheistic scientists concede that it appears designed, why not accept that at face value? Scientists acknowledge that it looks designed, so they try to explain why it looks designed without design. If it only appears designed then why does it appear designed? If they already know that it wasn't designed, then "it appears designed" is something they need to explain. But if they don't already know that, dismissing the appearance of design simply because they reject the design hypothesis doesn't resolve anything.

If it was designed then it’s intelligent to know what it was designed for. What’s the use of having access to a brilliant, complex, highly sophisticated device if we don’t know how to use it or why it was manufactured?

If we assume there is no intention behind the universe, our bodies, and life, then sure, we can find ways to use them but it’s unlikely we will get the most from them if there was intent behind them.

Focusing on the “there” is a great idea, but only once we know why the “there” is there.

If I wake up in a prison cell, it’s one thing to make the bed, sweep the floor and clean the walls, but it’s more intelligent to find out why I’m there and what to do about it. It’s a bit dim if I just focus on the ‘here and now’ and not wonder how I got there. I’m not so passive that I would accept that this is the new reality and there’s no reason to question it. Once I know why I'm there, for how long, and what is expected of me, I can make the cell as cozy as possible, but without knowing that it would be hard to accept all the restrictions.

It’s undeniable that we are restricted in life and we suffer. Of all the species of life only humans can even think about investigating why that is. The other species just go with it. So whether one believes it’s a product of evolution’s blind process to aid survival, or it’s intentional, the fact is that we have it. Dismissing it as unimportant or irrelevant is a great waste and squanders the main faculty that distinguishes us from animals.

Little wonder then that Vedanta Sutra begins with the aphorism:

“Now is the time to inquire about the Absolute Truth.” Vedanta Sutra 1.1.1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does Lord Krishna says about death in the Bhagavad Gita?

Action in Inaction and Inaction in Action as per Bhagavad Gita

Difference between Shrimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita

What is human fallibility and redemption as per Bhagavad Gita?