What's your favourite thing about Paryushan/Jainism?

 I like all three pillars of Jainism.

Ahiṃsā: Nonviolence. I especially appreciate this in connection with animals and dietary considerations.

Anekāntavāda: which holds that truth and reality are complex and have multiple aspects, and that no single viewpoint is absolutely complete. I have never had a Jain tell me it is categorically wrong to be a Vaishnava and should switch to Jainism.

Aparigraha: Non-possession. Every genuine spiritual path will stress detachment to worldly concerns.

I won’t become a Jain (even if the community would accept me) because I have a different concept of liberation to that offered in Jainism, but if Vaishnavism doesn’t become the major influence in the centuries ahead then if Jainism and Sikhism displaced Christianity and Islam as the two major religions, I would think that life would be easier for most people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does Lord Krishna says about death in the Bhagavad Gita?

Action in Inaction and Inaction in Action as per Bhagavad Gita

Difference between Shrimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita

What is human fallibility and redemption as per Bhagavad Gita?