How do you explain future consequences of one's current actions using simple examples?

 If I don’t eat I will feel hungry. If I overeat I will feel sick. If I don’t sleep I will feel tired.

That’s probably not what you mean because the examples are so simple, but the explanation is because the body is designed like that.

For less simple examples Sri Krishna has already outlined activities under the modes of nature.

The result of pious action is pure and is said to be in the mode of goodness. But action done in the mode of passion results in misery, and action performed in the mode of ignorance results in foolishness. Bhagavad Gita 14.16.

So if I passionately try to get or achieve something, I may not succeed so the result is misery. Or I may succeed but become disenchanted with the result later, resulting in misery. Or I may enjoy it but be separated from it, eventually by death, so again misery. So attachment comes the mode of passion and attachment always leads to some disturbance because it never endures. Attachment to Krishna is the exception because it survives the death of the body.

If I act in the mode of ignorance I will do foolish things, especially if drunk, and the consequences will be unpleasant. If we substitute knowledge with ignorance we won’t know what should be done and what shouldn’t, making every action a gamble with the odds heavily stacked against us.

But if I act in the mode of goodness, I will be detached from the result and be satisfied by having performed by duty to the best of my ability. If we act in Krishna consciousness that’s even better because the future consequences will be escape from samsara and love for Krishna.

These are the consequences because material nature is designed like that. Nothing is random and everything is accounted for. Our activities are never purely in one mode or another so it is the predominant mode in the mixture which has the most weight. Because the modes of nature are always in flux, conscious resistance to the modes of passion and ignorance is necessary so that the detrimental consequences of acting under their influence can be avoided.

Sometimes the mode of goodness becomes prominent, defeating the modes of passion and ignorance, O son of Bharata. Sometimes the mode of passion defeats goodness and ignorance, and at other times ignorance defeats goodness and passion. In this way there is always competition for supremacy. Bg 14.7

Purport

This competition is always going on. Therefore, one who is actually intent on advancing in Krishna consciousness has to transcend these three modes. The prominence of some certain mode of nature is manifested in one's dealings, in his activities, in eating, etc. All this will be explained in later chapters. But if one wants, he can develop, by practice, the mode of goodness and thus defeat the modes of ignorance and passion. One can similarly develop the mode of passion and defeat goodness and ignorance. Or one can develop the mode of ignorance and defeat goodness and passion.

Although there are these three modes of material nature, if one is determined he can be blessed by the mode of goodness, and by transcending the mode of goodness he can be situated in pure goodness, which is called the vasudeva state, a state in which one can understand the science of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What does Lord Krishna says about death in the Bhagavad Gita?

Action in Inaction and Inaction in Action as per Bhagavad Gita

Difference between Shrimad Bhagavatam and Bhagavad Gita

What is human fallibility and redemption as per Bhagavad Gita?